Race Report: Heritage Festival 5 Miler

July 4th is one of my favorite holidays, I love fireworks and good food with friends. But before I can enjoy all that there is a local 5 mile race, which I really like! I ran the Heritage Festival 5 miler last year for the first time and it was so much fun. So I was excited to run it again this year!

The race is a 5 mile loop with only a small hill at the end, but since this hill is very short, it doesn’t really bother me. Surprisingly!

My current 5 mile PR is 40:15 but I didn’t even think about trying to get close to this time, it is just too hot. PR’s are meant for spring and fall races. So my goal was to beat my time from last year, which was 43:21 (8:40 pace). That sounded doable.

I really feel good with my running lately. Last year I was struggling with the heat and humid weather, but this year I feel so much better. Maybe because it isn’t that humid. Today was another hot but not too humid day. Yeah!

We did a slow warm up mile (11:00 pace) and went back to the start line and ready to go.

I felt good this morning, a little tired but good. I had salt pretzels last night and apple sauce this morning and fueling-wise felt good before, during and after the race.

I felt really good during this race. I felt I pushed it just enough to run comfortable hard, but did never feel like “I hate this” or “I want this to be over”. I was able to run negative splits and that especially makes me happy. I felt I’m in control and ran a smart race for a hot day.

Mile 1: 8:55
Mile 2: 8:31
Mile 3: 8:30
Mile 4: 8:10
Mile 5: 7:54
final sprint: 5:08 min/mile

I was happy to beat my time from last year by over 1 minute! So excited! I feel I’m getting stronger and better every year I’m running and I love it!

Team Awesome!

Here are the official stats:
Finish time 42:12.

I placed 158 of 515 runners,
42 of 255 Female runners
10 of 24 in the Women’s 30-34 division.

Weather on Race day was 79 degrees, 70 degree dew point, sunny.

Did you run a race on 4th of July?
Is marathon training making you a faster runner?

At the finish line, cheering on runners

14 Comments on Race Report: Heritage Festival 5 Miler

1. lisa j
    July 5, 2012 at 9:21 am (2 years ago)

way to not only beat your previous time by a minute, but doing so with the weather the way it is. I thought long and hard about doing a race yesterday, but I just suck wind in hot and humid temps so I did a solo slow run instead. Great job

2. Wendy
    July 5, 2012 at 10:30 am (2 years ago)

Woo Hoo! Great job on the PR!

3. abbi
    July 5, 2012 at 10:48 am (2 years ago)

Congrats on the great race!!

4. Christina
    July 5, 2012 at 10:57 am (2 years ago)

I think you did a wonderful job tackling the race and the weather. :)
    Love it when you said you are in control and you ran a smart race. Brings a smile to my face whenever I see my running friends run with such confidence!

5. Christy
    July 5, 2012 at 11:21 am (2 years ago)

Great job!! Awesome splits with a great last mile too. Hope you had a fabulous 4th of July!!

6. J
    July 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm (2 years ago)

Congrats on the race! I spectated a race which was fun. IT was super humid here yesterday. I think marathon training does make you faster – the endurance you gain is great too!

7. elizabeth
    July 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm (2 years ago)

congrats on a great race! i ran the peachtree road race on the 4th. and, if i do speed work, marathon training makes me faster :)

8. alma
    July 6, 2012 at 2:01 am (2 years ago)

Congrats on the PR! 79 & 70%? That sounds unbearable (for a Seattleite)- shew! Maybe all those sit-ups are paying off too?

9. Tina@GottaRunNow
    July 6, 2012 at 7:41 am (2 years ago)

It is tough to get a PR in the summertime – congrats! Great splits, too!

10. JoAnn
    July 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm (2 years ago)

Congrats! Reading your race reports makes me want to sign up for a race :-)

11. Caroline
    July 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm (2 years ago)

congrats on a fantastic race and in the heat also! no race on 4th of July for me this year, I was sad to miss it but we were traveling back home that day

12. Courtney
    July 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm (2 years ago)

looks at those great splits in the heat!!

13. Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner
    July 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm (2 years ago)

AAck congrats, your splits are BEAUTIFUL! Look how each mile was faster than the previous one, that’s one strong race!!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Race Report: Heritage Festival 5 Miler

1. […] mile warm up with an 11 min/mile pace and then lined up for the race. I had a great time (read more HERE) and finished in 42:12. Over 1 minute faster than last year! I’m feeling great and this […]

%d bloggers like this: